Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas bells are ringing!

Well, not really. But they might as well be! I LOVE CHRISTMASTIME! The very first thing I accomplished at the new house was hanging our stockings over our fabulous fireplace. Then the very next day we went and got our tree! It took us a week to dig out ornaments and coordinate schedules so that we were all home together long enough to decorate it, but it got done! Logan and I even had time that night to make Chocolate Candy Cane Whoopie Pies (which did not turn out well, even though I did everything exactly as the directions required). One thing that slipped through the cracks in all the moving chaos was taking a Christmas card photo. Poo. Please don't fret that you haven't gotten a card from us this year. They are actually on their way to me--we snapped a shot last night ourselves--and I will turn them around to you ASAP!

Did I mention I love Christmastime? I do. I love that there's more music in the air celebrating the coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I love that it's cold outside so I can wear scarves and beanies. I love that cafes and restaurants have special holiday menu items that often involve peppermint and egg nog. I LOVE that people everywhere are thinking about GIVING. Granted, many people are also focused on receiving--especially the kiddos. It hurts my heart a little bit when Logan says, "You need to get me [fill in the blank] for Christmas." My response always wants to be, "We don't NEED to get you anything but food, water, clothing and shelter, Buddy." I don't say that, though. At least not every time. ;^}

But I digress! My point is that giving makes me happy. When I'm out shopping, I more often see things that I think someone else needs, rather than myself (even throughout the year). I blame my upbringing for this. My parents were raised by parents who raised them to give of themselves and give to the church, and that same responsibility was instilled in me. But it goes beyond that for me. It's part of my make-up to show my love by giving. So when I see people shopping for or exchanging gifts, to me it just means love is swirling all around me. And we all need more love, which is exactly what this season is about! After all--I realize I don't NEED to point this out--love is what drove our Heavenly Father to give His son as a gift to us, and for love is what drove Christ to give His life for us.

Have a very giving Christmas, Everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder :) Max

Allison said...

Mom said if she knew how to post she would say "Amen!" so there you go. I would like to say that I agree, we are so fortunate to have generations of examples of generous people, in our family, that came before us. I pray that we keep the tradition going, and yes, enjoy the others around us who do the same!

Allison said...

Mom said if she knew how to post she would say "Amen!" so there you go. I would like to say that I agree, we are so fortunate to have generations of examples of generous people, in our family, that came before us. I pray that we keep the tradition going, and yes, enjoy the others around us who do the same!