Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My trip to England--Part II


On Saturday, Kate and I went back to the place where it all began--Cheltenham! Well, Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education (now known as University of Gloucester) to be exact! Yes, I got choked up a bit. It was quiet that afternoon, which allowed us to kinda roam freely and snap photos without much interference.

After visiting the campus, we went to the city centre. We had some time to kill before Nigel was supposed to call to tell where to meet him. We walked down the Promenade, passing the same disturbing sculpture I always tried not to notice, and on to the High Street, which is where all the shopping is. We ate dinner at my favorite Cheltenham restaurant, Bella Pasta (which, sadly, has changed its name to Bella Italia). Luckily for me, my favorite dish is still on the menu!

Later on, after waiting around for a couple hours for a phone call from Nigel, Kate got a text message from our friend, James, and we FINALLY met up with some people we had attended university with. We also met some new friends. James brought his girlfriend, Diana, who is lovely. And Jeff, an American from Brooklyn, came the semester after me, and moved to Cheltenham a few years later. What a blast! We did admit we felt a little old to be out in the club with all the freshman, though... Oh well! Once we got to the club formerly known as Enigma--we got in free because James knew the DJ. Hooray for connections!--who did I see but the boy I was dating for the last month I was in Cheltenham! THAT was a complete surprise!

And to think...Kate and I almost went home because Nigel slacked off! SO glad we didn't!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great bunch of pictures. Looks like you didn't have any fun at all!! Glad you are back safely. Your next trip back is when???

Allison said...

How amazing! I know you had a wonderful time, you took great pictures and you told you story well. Dowty Villa, I remember it! I saw it and knew exactly what it was! I'm so glad you had a great time, I'm sure you had so many memories come back that you had forgotten about. When will you stop glowing?! :)

Seán Fornelli said...

Hello, I stumbled upon your blog while looking for other Modesto folks and found you to be quite interesting.
Congratz on the second half of your marathon. You can cross that off your life list now. :)

But I'm curious... Are you still moving to Texas? ;)

Take care,

Sean