I am so mad. I was in a traffic collision yesterday. I was driving on a fairly popular street in Modesto; I had just come through an intersection where my light had been green and was approaching another green light. All the sudden, an old lady crossed 3 lanes of traffic--she said she just had to get over to Longs--and into my car. I saw her in enough time to swerve a little to avoid a major impact, but my car didn't come to rest until her front bumper had grazed the entire length of the passenger's side! (I had been going 38mph.) We got out of the car to exchange info, and she said, "I'm sorry about that. At least I didn't damage you too badly. I just didn't see you." I said, "Yeah, I guess not!" Even the passenger in her car said to me, "She said she just didn't even see you."
So, I left the scene yesterday thinking, What a fabulous way to experience a collision (if you have to at all). No one got hurt! Both cars are drivable. She's nice, she admitted fault, and this should be a breeze. Clearly there's no way this could be viewed as my fault.
WRONG!!!! I called my insurance company to file a claim, because the damage to my passenger door is significant enough to call in the pros. Well, my adjuster contacted her insurance company to check on the claim, and, what? No claim? That's odd. He gave the other driver a call, and she said she's not filing a claim, because the damage to her car is minimal, and she's just going to pay for it out of pocket. (That should be his FIRST clue that she knows it's her fault. She didn't call and ask ME to pay for it!) Then he asked her if she would give a recorded statement, and she went all nutso. She said it was MY fault, that he was wrongly accusing her, and ACCOSTING her! He said she was adamant that she was not at fault.
I have no idea how, if my light was green and I was not speeding, I could have avoided hitting someone who pulled into my lane right in front of me! I could only swerve so far, you know? Stupid old lady.
But, when I think about it, it's only money. That's what it boils down to. Even IF this somehow gets pinned on me--everyone I've talked to says there's no way unless the bat decides to completely change her story because there are no witnesses--it goes on my record which means my insurance goes up. It's all about the money.
If I had an income right now I think it wouldn't upset me so much. I mean, yes, it's foolish of that lady to say this was my fault. But there's no one to back me up, so it's her word against mine. And I know in my heart I was being a good, safe driver. It's just that it seemed so straightforward. Even the insurance guy said so. But he also said it never ceases to amaze him how people will change their story. I guess it shouldn't shock me, either, but it does.
She better take that Jesus fish off her car!!!
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
ARGH!
Post a Comment